"I have been in the Army for 10yrs, I have seen stuff that I hope others will never have to during my two deployments overseas. But the saddest thing I have ever witnessed was standing in the grass this morning as the sun rose with a couple hundred others waving good bye to over 100 people that I care about. Never really thought about how hard it would be to be the one not on the bus.
See you guys soon.....Take care"
And then I read the comments that followed:
- I believe your Army friends would appreciate this statement. Spoken from your heart.
- I cant imagine what u guys go thru. I want to say THANK YOU to u and all the other service men and women that protect us all. May God bless you all.
- That's really nice Charlie Bell...and thank you for how you have already served our country!
- yes, thanks to all men and women. Be careful.
- very touching charlie. love ya!
- I thought of you and I could not imagine how you felt...but I know how I felt. So burdened for them, yet so glad that you did not have to go again. God Bless them all. We pray for their safety and pray that they ALL return. Love you Charlie!
- I sure do love you babe! I am so grateful to not have to spend this year away from you! Me, Lula Mae and Jayce sure do love having you around!
I am very aware that I am a selfish person, but I did not realize how selfish it was for me to think Charlie didn't want to go overseas as badly as I didn't want him to go. My husband is not one to show emotion. He is not one to dwell on things or hold a grudge. I never thought about how hard it would be for him not to go on this deployment. He is a very loyal man and he loves his job. He has more integrity in his little toe than most people have in their entire body. Now I realize that I owe my husband one big thank you. I think if it weren't for me having Jayce 9 weeks ago, he would have been on that bus and I would have been the one waving from the grass. I think he would have gladly given away his "stay behind" slot to someone that he thought was more deserving. I never thought that not getting on that bus would be so tough for him. God gave me an amazing husband and I love him more than words can ever say. He has done a lot for me in the past, but this takes the cake.
I love you Babe.