Saturday, January 2, 2010

Baby On A Budget

Today Heather and I went out to do some thrift store shopping for the new baby. Baby stuff is not cheap when you buy new things from retail stores, that's for sure! What's wrong with buying used? Will the baby enjoy a swing more if it is new? Will he or she cry less if the mobile in the crib is new? Nope! I agree with the Duggar's philosophy of "buy used, save the difference", especially on baby stuff! Now, when I shop at thrift stores I am a little bit critical. I don't want to buy something that doesn't work, looks stained or is torn. Buying used does not have to mean buying junk. Heather and I found a great consignment store in Simpsonville today that had great quality baby items with great prices! This store had a huge variety of things! Everything you could possibly need for baby! I have to say that this will not be my last trip to this store! When we get our crib I will be going back to this store for the mattress. They had mattresses ranging from $20.00 to $80.00. A price to fit any budget! Look at what I got today!


Kiddopotamus Swaddling Blanket (New, never washed)
Retail Price: $10.99 at Babies-R-Us
Thrift Store Price: $5.99



Lamaze Car Seat Toy (Used I'm sure but seems new)
Retail Price: $14.99 at Babies-R-Us
Thrift Store Price: $4.99



Ocean Wonders Crib Soother (Older model but in great condition)
Retail Price: $47.49 at Babies-R-Us
Thrift Store Price: $10.99



Fisher Price Rainforest Mobile (Used in great condition)
Retail Price: $49.99 at Babies-R-Us
Thrift Store Price: $24.99

Today I spent $46.96 (before tax) on these items! At Babies-R-Us I would have spent $123.46 (before tax) which gives me a savings of... drum roll please.... $76.50! So I saved more than I spent! I was thrilled leaving that store today! If you are interested, this is the store that we went to today to do our shopping:

All About Kids Consignment & Resale
604 NE Main Street
Simpsonville, SC 29681

Owner: Brenda Hinsley


I am challenging myself to "Thrift Before Buying" with this baby (and any babies after this one too!). Anytime I think of something we may need I am going to check thrift stores first before just going to Wal-Mart and buying it off the shelf. I know it is going to save us tons of money and will be a great running project for me!

No comments: