Ingredients For Cake
- 1 strawberry cake mix ( I take the help from the store on this one)
- 1 packet of kool-aid lemonade
- 1 can of lemon pie filling (you won't be using the entire can)
Ingredients For Icing (I got this from a friend)
- 1 cup of Crisco (plain or butter flavor)
- 1 cup of butter (2 sticks)
- 1 bag of powdered sugar (not an exact measurement because you will add a little at a time but it is usually about half of a 2 pound bag... so about a pound of it.)
- Vanilla extract (to taste... usually not much at all)
- 1 packet of strawberry lemonade kool-aid (you only need to use a little less than half of it)
Instructions For Icing
- Let butter set out and get to room temperature.
- Cream together the butter and Crisco
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar a little at a time
- After adding a little bit of sugar add in half, or a little less than half, of the strawberry lemonade kool-aid packet
- Add more sugar until it gets to a firm consistency.
- Store in the fridge
Instructions For Cake
- Read the back of your cake mix box. Pre-heat the oven and prep your pans as directed.
- Mix the cake batter as directed. Add the packet of lemonade kool-aid to the batter.
- Pour batter into your pans and bake as directed. I usually under bake from what the package suggests by 2 minutes and test each cake to see if they are done. No one likes an over cooked, dry cake.
- Let cakes cool completely before assembling and icing your cake.
- Once cool, spread a layer of pie filling on one of the cakes. Now stack the other cake on top of that one.
- Ice your cake.
- Cut yourself a slice and enjoy!
It is super easy to make these into cupcakes as well. I like this recipe both ways! Enjoy!