Friday, February 24, 2012

These Days...

Wow. I wish I could accurately describe to you what life has been like these days. Folks, it has been a whirlwind.

A whirlwind that has swept me deep, deep, deep down into a dark, dark, dark hole.

Can I just say, I adore my children. They are amazing and wonderful but the amount of stress they have been causing me lately is unheard of! Parenting the right way is not easy.... and I am fighting tooth and nail to parent the right way. Who knew a 3 year old could have the attitude of a 16 year old????? Sigh.

So my days have been full. Full of time outs, full of children yelling, full of being kicked by little ones who are frustrated... it has just been full of the parts of parenting that people don't like to talk about. The parts that people pretend are not there.... but they are. The hard parts.

Tomorrow I am taking a mental health day.

I am driving to a great shopping town nearby... alone. Completely and utterly alone. I don't want to make conversation, I don't want to ask someone where they want to eat, I don't want to ask anyone what store they want to go to. It sounds selfish, I know. I just want to get away... alone.

These days have been rough, but I have such faith that all of this work we are doing on our kids will be so worth it someday. God promises us that and I am clinging to that promise.

Let me leave you with a few positive things, so you don't think I have totally lost it and flown over the coo coo's nest ;-)

Lula Mae is quite the budding artist! And I love that she adds captions to almost EVERYTHING! She is also really into helping more and more these days.

Jayce has all of a sudden has started really talking. Oh and the boy knows ALL of his letters! He can't sing the ABC's but he can tell you any letter... and he LOVES playing "what letter is this". I think he likes feeling smart ;-)

I will be back soon... I can't promise my brain will be though....

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh gosh... I'm so sorry.

And that part you think they don't talk about? They really do... just not in the Dr. Spock books :)

(Please tell me you've seen the kid throwing a full blown tantrum on the floor at Target, right? Somehow I think we all automatically assumed as teens that we would NEVER have a kid who would EVER act out, right?... and then we realized that these little buggers actual have their own minds and wills and those sometimes stink, ha!

I'm taking a mental health week... but away from ADULTS who act worse than my kindergartener. Trust me - the work you are putting into your Littles, will give them the foundation to be those amazing adults who are kind to others.

(I was helped a bunch by Dr. Dobson's "The Strong Willed Child"... and some quality time with coffee and a new pair of sneakers)

Love you and am praying for you.

Emmy said...

Good for you-- we all need a day or at least some time totally to ourselves. And yea, I had a 3, then 4 and now 5 year old that acts like she is 16. Good luck and just keep doing your best